Why work in a green building?
The benefits of green work places
The benefits of green building continue to stack up. There are a wide range of benefits for people working in green buildings including:
> Boosting productivity
Healthier places to work
Green building design emphasises natural light and fresh air, and reduces exposure to harmful chemicals and toxins. As a result, green buildings are healthy places to work.
Sustainability Victoria’s (2006) pre- and post-occupancy study of staff in 500 Collins Street found the following health benefits:
We want people to enjoy working at Fujitsu and we’re creating a culture which attracts and retains staff. Our Green Star office is good for our employees and good for our business, even helping to reduce absenteeism by 42%
Fujitsu, Chief Executive Officer, Mike Foster
Boost your productivity
Green building design is focused on creating a comfortable indoor environment. When we are comfortable we work better.
- Green Star buildings consistently outperform non-green buildings in terms of comfort and productivity. Natural light, fresh air and access to views of the outdoors, as well as control over individual workspace temperature and lighting, can affect productivity directly.
- The World Green Building Council’s Business Case for Green Building (2013) analysis of existing research on building design attributes and workplace productivity found:
- Up to 3% increase in productivity when people had individual temperature control of their workspace
- Up to11% productivity gains from improved ventilation
- Up to 18% increase in productivity from access to daylight and operable windows
- Up to 23% improved productivity from well-designed lighting.
- Modelling from CitySwitch has found that the productivity savings gained from a typical financial or professional services firm operating from a 5 Star Green Star-rated office of 5,000 square metres would be $3,654,744 a year.
Senior Manager - Strategy & Development
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 02 8239 6291
In This Section
- Why design or build a green commercial building?
- Why design or build a green residential building?
- Why design or build a green school?
- Why design or build a green hospital?
- Why design or build a green public building?
- Why own a green commercial building?
- Why own a green residential building?
- Why own a green school?
- Why own a green hospital?
- Why own a green public building?