Why design or build a green hospital?
The benefits of building green hospitals
The benefits of green buildings continue to stack up. Designing or building green hospitals, has a range of benefits for operators, patients, carers and the environment including:
World Green Building Council’s Business Case for Green Building (2013) outlines a range of international studies have confirmed that green healthcare facilities provide better patient care and reduce the length of stay required in hospital.
- 8.5% reduction in hospital stays
- 15% faster recovery rates
- 22% reduction in need for pain medication
- 11% reduction in secondary infections.
If you have a patient who has a very positive journey, based on an environment where they feel comfortable, and their needs are met not just on a clinical level but are also supported at a social and spiritual level, they're [sic] care journey will be optimised.
Project Director, Megan Gray
The Olivia Newton-John Cancer & Wellness Centre at the Austin Hospital in Melbourne is dedicated to providing world-class medical treatment and supportive care for cancer patients and their families. The eight level centre emphasises wellness and patient wellbeing and is the first certified Green Star – Healthcare v1 project in Victoria.
A green building not only enhances the marketability of a building project, but of the entire organisation.
Building green is a clear expression of commitment to the environment. Increasingly, people around the world perceive green buildings as modern and ethical – and companies, councils, governments and community organisations associated with green buildings benefit from these perceptions through community pride, satisfaction and well-being.
Australia’s first Green Star-rated healthcare facility, the Flinders Medical Centre New South Wing in Adelaide, houses women’s health services and has been designed to deliver high-quality patient care with a minimal environmental footprint.
Ready to start using Green Star?
Senior Manager - Strategy & Development
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 02 8239 6291
In This Section
- Why design or build a green commercial building?
- Why design or build a green residential building?
- Why design or build a green school?
- Why design or build a green hospital?
- Why design or build a green public building?
- Why own a green commercial building?
- Why own a green residential building?
- Why own a green school?
- Why own a green hospital?
- Why own a green public building?