Green Star FAQs
Can project teams use alternative metrics to demonstrate compliance with flicker free LED lighting?
Yes. Project teams may use the following metrics for both analogue and digital forms of dimmable and non-dimmable LED lighting to demonstrate that LED fittings within the project are flicker-free.
Acceptable flicker metrics:
Short Term Light Modulation (PstLM) <= 1.0
Stroboscopic Visibility Measure (SVM) <= 0.4
These metrics have been deemed appropriate at this time for residential and commercial office projects, with the understanding that ongoing research into acceptability levels may result in a more stringent limit being recommended in the future.
Please provide the following in your submission:
- Evidence demonstrating the above metrics have been achieved
- In speculative or cold shell projects: A Tenancy Fitout Guide outlining all procured LED lights need to meet the above flicker metrics.
- In speculative or cold shell projects: Co-signed agreement between the building owner and tenant committing to the conditions of the Tenant Fitout Guide.
- All other documentation requirements as per the submission guidelines.
- A copy of this response.
For all other projects types, a Technical Question must be submitted to justify any proposed limits for both SVM and PStLM criteria.
In speculative or cold shell projects, a formal commitment should be provided from the tenants that LED lighting will be procured to meet the below metrics. Refer to the Fitout Scope Guidance Document for more information.
This FAQ is related to the following Rating Tools, Categories or Credits:
- Green Star - Design & As Built v1.1 / Indoor Environment Quality / 11 Lighting Comfort - Minimum Lighting Comfort
- Green Star - Design & As Built v1.2 / Indoor Environment Quality / 11 Lighting Comfort - Minimum Lighting Comfort
- Green Star - Design & As Built v1.3 / Indoor Environment Quality / 11.0.1 Flicker-Free Lighting
- Green Star - Interiors v1.1 / Indoor Environment Quality / 10 Lighting Comfort - Minimum Lighting Comfort
- Green Star - Interiors v1.2 / Indoor Environment Quality / 10 Lighting Comfort - Minimum Lighting Comfort
- Green Star - Interiors v1.3 / Indoor Environment Quality / 10.0.1 Flicker-Free Lighting
- Green Star - Performance 1.2.0 / Indoor Environment Quality / 10.1 Lighting Fixture Performance
These FAQs are:
- provided as additional technical assistance for Green Star users.
- optional and free to use on Green Star projects.
When used on Green Star projects, make sure to:
- state the FAQ number on the Submission Template.
- click on "Download" to save the FAQ.
- include the PDF in the submission.
The GBCA reserves the right to add or remove FAQ at our discretion.
Submit a question by selecting an option below: