National urban policy needed, says GBCA
A discussion paper foreshadowing a national urban policy has been welcomed by Australia's leading green building organisation.
The Australian Government has released the Our Cities - building a productive, sustainable and liveable future discussion paper to frame the policy approach to cities as the basis for a national urban policy to be released in 2011.
According to the Green Building Council of Australia's (GBCA's) Chief Executive, Romilly Madew, the discussion paper is an important step towards a national urban policy which delivers an integrated approach to planning, building, improving and measuring the performance of our cities.
"The discussion paper outlines the Australian Government's aspirations under the themes of productivity, sustainability and liveability, and recognises the importance of good planning and governance.
"These aspirations align well with the GBCA's five principals for sustainable communities - of liveability, economic prosperity, environmental responsibility, design excellence and governance - which were released earlier this year as part of the Green Star - Communities project.
The GBCA is currently leading the development of the Green Star - Communities rating tool that will assess communities against best practice sustainable benchmarks.
"Sustainability, in particular, must be a critical component of any future vision for Australia's cities, to ensure we tackle climate change, create healthy, productive and liveable cities, and protect our precious natural environment at the same time.
"Minimising carbon emissions and creating sustainable communities requires bold, fearless and visionary governance at all levels, with alignment in planning, policies and regulations. We welcome the Australian Government's leadership and look forward to working together to turn our current constraints into opportunities for our communities, our cities and our nation," Ms Madew concludes.
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 0412 179 135
In This Section
- GBCA Media Release - Big step forward for the energy future of Australian homesMon 22 Jul 2019
- First 6 Star Green Star library is one of Australia's best places for peopleFri 30 May 2014
- Parramatta sets its sights on a sustainable futureTue 2 Jul 2013
- Smart and sustainable space for learningFri 14 Jun 2013
- Sydney sets its sights on a sustainable futureThu 13 Jun 2013
- Tasmania sets its sights on Green Star certified schoolsTue 17 Apr 2012
- GBCA calls for integrated approach to population strategy and urban policy developmentFri 17 Dec 2010
- Existing buildings reaching for the green starsWed 15 Dec 2010
- Cities are everyone's business, says GBCAFri 10 Dec 2010
- Revised credits herald the next generation of Green StarWed 8 Dec 2010