Queensland awarded first 6 Star Green Star rating
The Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) has awarded the first 6 Star Green Star - Office Design v2 certified rating in Queensland to 33 Breakfast Creek Road.
33 Breakfast Creek Road boasts an impressive range of features that help distinguish it as a landmark building and achieve the "world leadership" status signified by the 6 Star Green Star rating.
Suzie Barnett, Executive Director of the Green Building Council of Australia believes this project highlights how far green building has come in Queensland and across Australia.
"By achieving a 6 Star Green Star certified rating, 33 Breakfast Creek Road showcases leading sustainability design and technology in Australia and worldwide," said Ms Barnett.
Outstanding Indoor Environment Quality features include improved daylight levels and access to views for more than 80% of staff. An active chilled beam air conditioning system provides fresh air at rates 150% above Australian Standards, with high air change effectiveness and no recirculation.
CO2 emissions will be cut by more than 2100 tonnes annually, equivalent to removing more than 520 cars from the roads. Water Management, including a 200,000 litre rainwater tank that will supply all toilets and landscape irrigation, will see a reduction in water use by 55%, a decrease of 38ML per year, which is equivalent to 38 Olympic swimming pools.
These initiatives enabled this project to score very highly in the water, management and Indoor Environment Quality categories within Green Star, as well as 100% within the transport category.
"This building has set a new environmental standard in commercial offices in Queensland. I urge all building owners and developers to follow its lead and apply the same principles to all new and refurbished buildings and help in our fight against climate change," continued Ms Barnett.
33 Breakfast Creek Road is registered for Green Star - Office As Built v2 certification, and will be the feature case study in the Green Building Council of Australia's upcoming Breakfast with the Stars event on 19 February. Visit www.gbca.org.au for further details.
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 02 8239 6208
Mobile: 0421 923 079
In This Section
- First 6 Star Green Star library is one of Australia's best places for peopleTue 3 Jun 2014
- Parramatta sets its sights on a sustainable futureTue 2 Jul 2013
- Smart and sustainable space for learningMon 17 Jun 2013
- Sydney sets its sights on a sustainable futureThu 13 Jun 2013
- Tasmania sets its sights on Green Star certified schoolsMon 23 Apr 2012
- GBCA calls for integrated approach to population strategy and urban policy developmentFri 17 Dec 2010
- Existing buildings reaching for the green starsWed 15 Dec 2010
- Cities are everyone's business, says GBCAFri 10 Dec 2010
- Revised credits herald the next generation of Green StarWed 8 Dec 2010
- National urban policy needed, says GBCAWed 1 Dec 2010