Tony Arnel elected to World Green Building Council Board
The Chair of the Green Building Council of Australia, Mr Tony Arnel has been elected to the Board of the World Green Building Council (WorldGBC) in Toronto.
Mr Arnel joins Ché Wall - another Australian and Immediate Past Chair, on the Board. Mr Wall received the Prime Minister's Australian Environmentalist Award in 2004 and was the founding Chair of the WorldGBC. The new Chairman of the Board is Canadian, Kevin Hydes, who has served as the WorldGBC Vice Chairman.
Mr Arnel, who is the current Chair of the Green Building Council of Australia, explained: "This is a great result for Australia and recognition of its green building movement, which is experiencing unparalleled growth.
"The fact we have two Australians on the Board of the WorldGBC reflects the Australian building industry's commitment to sustainability and its desire to be at the cutting edge of innovation in policy, design and technology.
The WorldGBC is the peak global not-for-profit organisation working to transform the property industry towards sustainability.
The WorldGBC consists of 10 national Green Building Councils including: Australia, Canada, United Arab Emirates, India, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Taiwan, United Kingdom and the United States. The Councils collectively represent over 50 per cent of global construction activity.
Tony Arnel is also Victorian Building Commissioner and Plumbing Industry Commissioner, and was a key figure in the development of the 5 Star energy efficiency standard for housing in Victoria and was instrumental in its adoption nationally in Australia by the Australian Building Codes Board.
"I am proud to join Ché Wall in representing Australia on the Board of the WorldGBC.
"It also illustrates Australia's understanding and commitment to the global nature of sustainability issues and the need to act locally but think globally," said Mr Arnel.
In This Section
- National Energy Efficient Building Project (NEEBP) WorkshopsFri 22 Nov 2013
- Green Thinking with BlueScopeWed 20 Nov 2013
- Buildings Plan for a Zero Carbon AustraliaMon 11 Nov 2013
- FuturArc Prize and Green Leadership Award submissions now openWed 2 Oct 2013
- McGraw-Hill BIM adoption and implementation surveyTue 1 Oct 2013
- The Future of Electricity Supply in Australia - CIBSE eventThu 26 Sep 2013
- Countdown is on till the International Symposium for Next Generation InfrastructureWed 18 Sep 2013
- Participate in creating a world-first sustainability stewardship programFri 13 Sep 2013
- Australian Cleantech Comp finalists announcedThu 5 Sep 2013
- The Corporate Environmental & Sustainability Governance Survey 2012Mon 2 Sep 2013