A National Sustainability Council for Australia
Tony Burke, Minister for the Environment, has announced the establishment of a National Sustainability Council for Australia.
Mr Burke said the council would provide independent advice to the government on sustainability issues and produce public reports against a set of sustainability indicators.
“It was clear from the Sustainable Population Strategy that we need better information about how our economy, environment and society interact to inform better planning and decision making,” Mr Burke said.
“That’s why the Government announced the Measuring Sustainability program in the 2011-12 Budget.
“This program will allow for the collection of data guided by a set of sustainability indicators that will measure our progress while delivering capacity for better planning and decision making.
“The indicators will help us take a longer-term view and consider how actions and decisions today affect the opportunities available to future generations.
“The National Sustainability Council will report against the sustainability indicators every two years, highlighting key trends and emerging issues for policy and decision makers and communities around Australia.”
The indicators will provide information about our economic, natural, social and human capital. They will cover a broad range of issues including housing supply, broadband internet connections, water consumption, recycling rates, ecosystem protection, educational attainment, feelings of safety, under- and unemployment and mental health.
“The Council will be chaired by Professor John Thwaites, chair of the Monash Sustainability Institute and ClimateWorks Australia,’’ Mr Burke said.
Professor Thwaites’ wealth of experience will be supported by members covering a breadth of disciplines and expertise.
Read more information on the National Sustainability Council and the sustainability indicators.
National Sustainability Council
Chair: Professor John Thwaites, Chair of the Monash Sustainability Institute and ClimateWorks
Mr Rod Glover, public policy and innovation expert, and former Deputy Secretary with the Victorian Department of Premier and Cabinet
Dr Tom Hatton PSM, Group Executive, Energy, CSIRO and Chair of the 2011 State of the Environment Committee
Professor Graeme Hugo AO, Director of the Australian Population and Migration Research Centre and Australian Research Council Professorial Fellow at the University of Adelaide
Mr Mark Joiner, Executive Director Finance, National Australia Bank
Ms Romilly Madew, Chief Executive of the Green Building Council of Australia
Ms Sam Mostyn, company director and corporate sustainability advisor
Professor Sue Richardson AM, Principal Research Fellow, National Institute of Labour Studies, Flinders University
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 0412 179 135
In This Section
- National Energy Efficient Building Project (NEEBP) WorkshopsFri 22 Nov 2013
- Green Thinking with BlueScopeWed 20 Nov 2013
- Buildings Plan for a Zero Carbon AustraliaMon 11 Nov 2013
- FuturArc Prize and Green Leadership Award submissions now openWed 2 Oct 2013
- McGraw-Hill BIM adoption and implementation surveyTue 1 Oct 2013
- The Future of Electricity Supply in Australia - CIBSE eventThu 26 Sep 2013
- Countdown is on till the International Symposium for Next Generation InfrastructureWed 18 Sep 2013
- Participate in creating a world-first sustainability stewardship programFri 13 Sep 2013
- Australian Cleantech Comp finalists announcedThu 5 Sep 2013
- The Corporate Environmental & Sustainability Governance Survey 2012Mon 2 Sep 2013