Spotlight: Green Star - Industrial v1 ‘Breakout Spaces’
Working in an industrial environment doesn’t have to mean smoke stacks and polluted air. Green Star – Industrial v1 encourages healthy, open spaces where employees can relax and recharge.
The IEQ19 Breakout Spaces credit, exclusive to the Green Star – Industrial v1 rating tool, rewards projects that provide a high quality breakout space for the building’s occupants. Two points are awarded when the breakout space meets a number of criteria, such as being a universally accessible, well lit, well ventilated and non-smoking space.
At Australia’s first 4 Star Green Star – Industrial v1 building, the Energex Distribution Centre in Brisbane, more than 80 staff are enjoying the indoor and outdoor breakout spaces that have been specially located to avoid noise, odour and air pollution.
The 52,000m2 industrial facility features ‘breakout spaces’ equivalent to 3.6 per cent of the gross floor area. The indoor space features a range of pot plants, and opens out to the outdoor area which includes a shaded area and soft landscaping.
John Moynihan from Ecolateral, who was the Green Star Accredited Professional on the project, says that “as a rule, industrial buildings have a high focus on productivity and, as a result, tend to offer little opportunity for social interaction and relief from the processes of the business. A dedicated breakout space provides an ideal hub around which staff can de-stress and share personal and professional experiences, and take time out to enjoy a break from work.
“Ensuring that these breakout spaces are not too small to become crowded or too large to become impersonal is an essential element and should be integrated into the fabric of the building. We believe that attaining this credit has added considerable value to the Energex facility and we have had significant positive feedback from building occupants in post occupancy surveys that we undertook.”
Want us to shine the spotlight on a particular Green Star credit? Email email@example.com to let us know.
In This Section
- A word from Rom - Targeting renewable energyThu 14 May 2015
- Global study connects levels of employee productivity and well-being to office designWed 13 May 2015
- Price check on sustainabilityWed 13 May 2015
- A word from Rom - A thing of beauty is a joy foreverThu 16 Apr 2015
- A word from RomMon 30 Mar 2015
- Emissions Reduction Fund Update from Sparke HelmoreTue 24 Mar 2015
- Can Queensland be a stronger, more sustainable state? The answers are in.Fri 27 Feb 2015
- A word from Rom - Creating connected citiesWed 18 Feb 2015
- Host a GBCA Member EveningTue 17 Feb 2015
- A word from Rom - Does size matter?Wed 21 Jan 2015