Spotlight: Green Star - Industrial v1 ‘Breakout Spaces’
Working in an industrial environment doesn’t have to mean smoke stacks and polluted air. Green Star – Industrial v1 encourages healthy, open spaces where employees can relax and recharge.
The IEQ19 Breakout Spaces credit, exclusive to the Green Star – Industrial v1 rating tool, rewards projects that provide a high quality breakout space for the building’s occupants. Two points are awarded when the breakout space meets a number of criteria, such as being a universally accessible, well lit, well ventilated and non-smoking space.
At Australia’s first 4 Star Green Star – Industrial v1 building, the Energex Distribution Centre in Brisbane, more than 80 staff are enjoying the indoor and outdoor breakout spaces that have been specially located to avoid noise, odour and air pollution.
The 52,000m2 industrial facility features ‘breakout spaces’ equivalent to 3.6 per cent of the gross floor area. The indoor space features a range of pot plants, and opens out to the outdoor area which includes a shaded area and soft landscaping.
John Moynihan from Ecolateral, who was the Green Star Accredited Professional on the project, says that “as a rule, industrial buildings have a high focus on productivity and, as a result, tend to offer little opportunity for social interaction and relief from the processes of the business. A dedicated breakout space provides an ideal hub around which staff can de-stress and share personal and professional experiences, and take time out to enjoy a break from work.
“Ensuring that these breakout spaces are not too small to become crowded or too large to become impersonal is an essential element and should be integrated into the fabric of the building. We believe that attaining this credit has added considerable value to the Energex facility and we have had significant positive feedback from building occupants in post occupancy surveys that we undertook.”
Want us to shine the spotlight on a particular Green Star credit? Email email@example.com to let us know.
In This Section
- A word from Rom - A springboard to sustainable successThu 17 Sep 2015
- Changes to the Green Building Council of Australia’s ConstitutionWed 2 Sep 2015
- A word from Rom - Opportunities aboundMon 24 Aug 2015
- Leadership leaves a legacyThu 20 Aug 2015
- GBCA makes submission on changes to National Construction CodeThu 20 Aug 2015
- Notice of Extraordinary General MeetingThu 20 Aug 2015
- A word from Rom - Rewriting the rulesFri 17 Jul 2015
- A word from Rom - Heroes who change your life and the world as wellWed 17 Jun 2015
- Adelaide’s newest office gets the Green Star tick of approvalWed 26 Aug 2015
- Australia Post Headquarters goes green for World Environment DayWed 15 Jul 2015