Green Star 2014 presents Innovation, Performance and more
After months spent testing Green Star's first ever online rating tool submission system - with help from our sponsors and members - we are now putting the finishing touches on the Green Star - Performance rating tool and preparing for the pilot launch event, which will take place at the Sydney Opera House on 10 October.
We’re confident that the release of Australia’s most comprehensive rating tool for the operational performance of existing buildings will mark the start of a new, more sustainable era for Australia’s built environment, and help us to ‘close the gap’ on the design, construction and operation of Australia’s buildings.
Green Star – Performance can assess almost all building types and covers the nine Green star categories of Management, IEQ, Materials, Energy, Water, Transport, Emissions, Land Use & Ecology and Innovation.
We’ve already received over 30 expressions of interest from building owners that want their buildings to be part of the pilot program. There’s still time to express your interest, so read up on the rating tool and get in touch with the team if you’d like to get involved.
As we wrap up the development of Green Star – Performance, the team has already turned its attention to the next big Green Star milestone – the development of a brand new, cross-sector rating tool for building design and construction: Green Star - Design & As Built.
This is one of our most ambitious projects yet and will result in a more cost-effective and easy-to-use rating tool for assessing the sustainable design and construction of a wide range of building types - from hospitals to schools, shops, warehouses and more.
We’ll be issuing an industry consultation paper about this project in the next few weeks and are looking forward to hearing your views. Our Green Star 2014 Thought Leaders are helping to make this project possible, so please join us in thanking them for their support and contributions.
Another project that we are tackling in our efforts to improve your Green Star experience is the review and trailling of alternative approaches to the current Green Star certification process.
We’re committed to ensuring that Green Star delivers consistent and cost-effective results, is intuitive and interactive and requires less time and effort when it comes to documentation, so we’re keen to hear what you, the Green Star user thinks. To find out, we’ll be opening up a period of industry consultation on how we can improve assessment early next year. Your feedback makes Green Star better, so make sure you have your say!
In addition to the exciting projects that are set to fundamentally improve your experience of Green Star over the long-term, we’ve also been working hard to implement initiatives that make Green Star better for you in the here and now:
- We've re-launched the Green Star Innovation category to make documenting and assessing Innovation claims easier for your project team and Green Star Assessors, increase assessment consistency, reduce your risk and encourage investment in new sustainability solutions.
- We're releasing a new set of rulings which will correct errors, provide alternative methods for meeting credit requirements and reduce documentation and modelling. The rulings will also introduce deemed-to-satisfy criteria that will save you time and money on your submission. Keep an eye out for these over the next few weeks.
- We've developed new submission templates for almost all of the short reports in Green Star - Office v3 to help you when it comes time to compile your submission. Make sure you download before you document!
We’ve enjoyed speaking with many of you at our member evenings in recent weeks about these initiatives and our plans for Green Star in the year ahead. We hope to catch up with those of you that we haven’t seen in the coming months.
We’ll be travelling the country to speak about Green Star – Performance in October and November and are looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the newest member of the Green Star family. In the meantime, please get in touch if you would like to know more about any of the work we’re doing or would like us to come and brief your team!
Green Star Technical Development
Green Star Certification
In This Section
- Taking Charge of ChangeThu 30 Jun 2016
- A word from Rom - What makes a city great?Fri 20 Nov 2015
- A word from Rom - Shake it upWed 21 Oct 2015
- World Green Building Week 2015 wrap upWed 21 Oct 2015
- Notice of 2015 Annual General MeetingTue 20 Oct 2015
- A word from Rom - A springboard to sustainable successMon 19 Oct 2015
- Changes to the Green Building Council of Australia’s ConstitutionWed 2 Sep 2015
- A word from Rom - Opportunities aboundMon 24 Aug 2015
- Leadership leaves a legacyThu 20 Aug 2015
- GBCA makes submission on changes to National Construction CodeThu 20 Aug 2015