GBCA makes submission on changes to National Construction Code
Australia is fortunate to have a National Construction Code (NCC) that sets minimum standards for construction, ensuring that new buildings are safe and meet a minimum acceptable level of quality, comfort and efficiency. It is critical that these minimum standards are reviewed and adjusted over time so that they reflect improvements to standard and best practice and ultimately deliver safer, more efficient, productive and resilient building stock.
The Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) was established to to develop a sustainable property industry in Australia and drive the adoption of green building practices through market-based solutions. Our key objectives are to drive the property industry towards:
- sustainability by promoting green building programs, technologies, design practices and operations
- integration of green building initiatives into mainstream design, construction and operation of buildings.
While Green Star is an effective way to encourage, recognise and reward best practice, leadership and innovation, advocating for robust and contemporary regulation is also an important role of the GBCA.
View the full submission
The GBCA supports measures that encourage better energy efficiency through performance-based methods in the NCC, but made the submission to communicate the concern from industry that the proposed changes could unintentionally result in energy efficiency outcomes and building quality that are below even current standards. In its submission, the GBCA made a number of recommendations, including that the JV2 method should not be introduced into the NCC until a regulatory impact statement is prepared, and all impacts are understood by industry.
The GBCA is committed to working with our members and the wider industry to develop a vision for improving the NCC over the short, medium and long-term, and to engage with the Australian Building Codes Board and all levels of government to ensure that this vision is implemented.
The Australian Sustainable Built Environment Council (ASBEC) has recently formed a National Construction Code Working Group to scope and deliver a project focused on these outcomes.
Senior Manager - Policy and Government Relations
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 02 8239 6233
Email: [email protected]
In This Section
- Taking Charge of ChangeThu 30 Jun 2016
- A word from Rom - What makes a city great?Fri 20 Nov 2015
- A word from Rom - Shake it upWed 21 Oct 2015
- World Green Building Week 2015 wrap upWed 21 Oct 2015
- Notice of 2015 Annual General MeetingTue 20 Oct 2015
- A word from Rom - A springboard to sustainable successMon 19 Oct 2015
- Changes to the Green Building Council of Australia’s ConstitutionWed 2 Sep 2015
- A word from Rom - Opportunities aboundMon 24 Aug 2015
- Leadership leaves a legacyThu 20 Aug 2015
- GBCA makes submission on changes to National Construction CodeThu 20 Aug 2015