Australia Post Headquarters goes green for World Environment Day
Australia Post joined millions of people around the world in celebrating World Environment Day on Friday 5 June. A range of activities at the 5 Star Green Star-rated Melbourne headquarters highlighted some of the little things we can all do to help build a better environment.
Just outside 111 Bourke Street, Brookfield’s Southern Cross Lane was transformed into a mini farmers market with growers from Australia Post’s very own Farmhouse Direct displaying and selling their wares, highlighting the benefits of buying direct from the producers. Passers-by were also treated to a green oasis courtesy of 'Do it on the Roof', who showed us how simple it is to grow your own veggies in garden beds made of recycled wooden pallets. Some people were lucky enough to take home seedlings to get started on their own gardening project.
Recycling stations were also set up and old mobile phones, printer cartridges and even old toothbrushes were collected to be recycled via our existing partnerships with MobileMuster, Cartridges 4 Planet Ark and TerraCycle. Around 1,000 KeepCups – the world’s first reusable cup – were also given away on the day to employees who made an environmental pledge. With 500 billion disposable cups manufactured around the world every year, reusable cups are a small but very effective way to help reduce the level of waste going to landfill.
The World Environment Day celebrations were a great snapshot of some of the key environmental sustainability initiatives Australia Post supports at its locations and in the wider community. The Environmental Sustainability team hope to run similar activities across Australia.
Australia Post is a GBCA member and sponsor of Green Building Day 2015.
In This Section
- Taking Charge of ChangeThu 30 Jun 2016
- A word from Rom - What makes a city great?Fri 20 Nov 2015
- A word from Rom - Shake it upWed 21 Oct 2015
- World Green Building Week 2015 wrap upWed 21 Oct 2015
- Notice of 2015 Annual General MeetingTue 20 Oct 2015
- A word from Rom - A springboard to sustainable successMon 19 Oct 2015
- Changes to the Green Building Council of Australia’s ConstitutionWed 2 Sep 2015
- A word from Rom - Opportunities aboundMon 24 Aug 2015
- Leadership leaves a legacyThu 20 Aug 2015
- GBCA makes submission on changes to National Construction CodeThu 20 Aug 2015