ASBEC releases new climate change adaptation framework
The Australian Sustainable Built Environment Council (ASBEC)’s Climate Change Task Group has launched a new ten-point Climate Change Adaptation Framework to facilitate climate change resilience and adaptation for Australia’s built environment.
Launching the new framework at the recent Built Environment Meets Parliament (BEMP 2012) event, ASBEC emphasised the need for strong government leadership in order to build our country’s capacity to respond and adapt to the impacts of climate change. The new policy framework recommends the establishment of a National Built Environment Adaptation Council to facilitate consultation between industries, governments and communities.
“By implementing adaptation strategies now, governments and individuals will benefit in the longer term and a central body such as a National Built Environment Adaptation Council would help deliver these changes now and in the future,” says ASBEC President, Tom Roper.
“Suburbs and buildings are still being designed and created based on past climatic experience when we should be thinking of how they will respond to future climatic events, so we can be resilient 20, 30, 40 years down the track,” concludes Mr Roper.
“Resilience is such an important aspect of sustainability and a framework which increases consultation and collaboration between stakeholders will result in better outcomes for urban Australia into the future,” says Robin Mellon, the GBCA’s Executive Director of Advocacy and Business Services.
“The GBCA applauds ASBEC for their Climate Change Adaptation Framework initiative, and looks forward to partnering with the Council, government and other stakeholders to build more resilient and adaptable communities,” concludes Mr Mellon.
In This Section
- Accountability through transparencyTue 26 Nov 2013
- Rising star of Green StarFri 15 Nov 2013
- Meet our first GSAP - PerformanceFri 15 Nov 2013
- Cleaning products and VOC requirements now recognisedFri 15 Nov 2013
- GBCA trade delegation to India: express your interestThu 24 Oct 2013
- Celebrating our successesThu 24 Oct 2013
- New government, new opportunities for changeTue 15 Oct 2013
- Are you our next Green Star Technical Manager?Wed 9 Oct 2013
- GBCA seeks new Communications ManagerFri 4 Oct 2013
- New Green Star Rulings to save time and moneyWed 18 Sep 2013