PM's energy efficiency report a vital step on the road to a greener built environment
The Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) welcomes the release of the Prime Minister's Task Group on Energy Efficiency report.
The report was commissioned by the Australian Government to provide advice on the development of policy that will strengthen Australia's response to climate change and reduce pressure on energy costs.
Chief Executive of the GBCA, Romilly Madew, says that the report is "a vital step on the road to a greener built environment for Australia.
"We are delighted to see the report identify some of the opportunities within the built environment - although I emphasise that there are many more opportunities to be embraced than those outlined in the report," Ms Madew says.
"Clean energy solutions have been available for a number of years, and great advances in their development have been made within Australia. Green building is one of the world's fastest growing industries and many buildings and communities can now produce their own energy through solar, photovoltaic, wind, cogeneration, trigeneration and biogas initiatives, among many other approaches," Ms Madew explains.
"Energy efficiency schemes and technologies are readily available now - they don't have to be expensive to implement, and they're not complicated to understand."
The GBCA is pleased with the current multi-partisan discussions about a price on carbon.
"Certainty in the market is important. Australian business, as well as the general public, should be part of the conversation so that they can fully understand the benefits, the value and the long-term significance to the economy, the environment, policy and productivity," Ms Madew says.
"Not only does greater energy efficiency make both economic and environmental sense, but it will help reduce the built environment's - as well as any individual's, family's or company's - exposure to any price on carbon," Ms Madew concludes.
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 0412 179 135
In This Section
- Political and lndustry leaders to discuss future of planning and design at BEMP WAFri 17 Jul 2015
- Tonsley demonstrates world leadership in urban renewalWed 15 Jul 2015
- How to deliver better places to live and a more competitive AustraliaTue 7 Jul 2015
- Australand raises the sustainability stakes with 5 Star Green Star commitmentWed 1 Jul 2015
- Green Star - Performance data to accelerate climate bond issuance in AustraliaMon 29 Jun 2015
- Australand has Australia’s largest portfolio of Green Star certified spaceTue 16 Jun 2015
- Coles gains certification for first sustainable supermarketMon 15 Jun 2015
- Ecco Ripley is one of Australia’s greenest communitiesWed 10 Jun 2015
- Would the rising stars of sustainability please stand up?Mon 1 Jun 2015
- Investment in our cities is mission critical, says GBCAMon 25 May 2015