PM's energy efficiency report a vital step on the road to a greener built environment
The Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) welcomes the release of the Prime Minister's Task Group on Energy Efficiency report.
The report was commissioned by the Australian Government to provide advice on the development of policy that will strengthen Australia's response to climate change and reduce pressure on energy costs.
Chief Executive of the GBCA, Romilly Madew, says that the report is "a vital step on the road to a greener built environment for Australia.
"We are delighted to see the report identify some of the opportunities within the built environment - although I emphasise that there are many more opportunities to be embraced than those outlined in the report," Ms Madew says.
"Clean energy solutions have been available for a number of years, and great advances in their development have been made within Australia. Green building is one of the world's fastest growing industries and many buildings and communities can now produce their own energy through solar, photovoltaic, wind, cogeneration, trigeneration and biogas initiatives, among many other approaches," Ms Madew explains.
"Energy efficiency schemes and technologies are readily available now - they don't have to be expensive to implement, and they're not complicated to understand."
The GBCA is pleased with the current multi-partisan discussions about a price on carbon.
"Certainty in the market is important. Australian business, as well as the general public, should be part of the conversation so that they can fully understand the benefits, the value and the long-term significance to the economy, the environment, policy and productivity," Ms Madew says.
"Not only does greater energy efficiency make both economic and environmental sense, but it will help reduce the built environment's - as well as any individual's, family's or company's - exposure to any price on carbon," Ms Madew concludes.
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 0412 179 135
In This Section
- Applause for Australia's green leaders in 2013Fri 13 Dec 2013
- Strong and diverse board to help transform the green building industryThu 5 Dec 2013
- A green phoenix rises from the ashesMon 2 Dec 2013
- Gehry building joins Sydney’s skylineFri 29 Nov 2013
- Closer collaboration for GBCA and ISCAThu 28 Nov 2013
- Green Star the gold standard for smaller energy consumption in a bigger AustraliaTue 26 Nov 2013
- And they're off...first Green Star - Performance project registeredWed 20 Nov 2013
- Australian sustainability leader to drive global network for green schoolsWed 20 Nov 2013
- Quality school buildings deliver quality learning outcomesWed 30 Oct 2013
- Two Western Australian future landmarks lead the industry in sustainabilityMon 21 Oct 2013