New WA Department for Communities a welcome step
The Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) welcomes the West Australian Government’s decision to establish a Department of Local Government and Communities.
West Australian Premier Colin Barnett announced changes to a range of government departments which he says will improve service delivery. Among those is the establishment of a new Department of Local Government and Communities.
“We applaud the West Australian Government’s decision, which clearly prioritises the importance of communities in the state’s development and will help the government focus on long-term community-scale solutions,” says the GBCA’s Executive Director of Advocacy, Robin Mellon.
“Landcorp sponsored the development of the Green Star – Communities rating tool, which was released in June 2012, and the West Australian Government now has access to a method of measurement that can help deliver more sustainable, productive, resilient and liveable communities.
Green Star – Communities is an independent, national rating tool developed by the GBCA, which assesses projects against best practice benchmarks for liveability, prosperity, environmental sustainability, design excellence, governance and innovation.
“Green Star - Communities recognises the importance of economic prosperity, affordability, liveability, wellbeing and resilience alongside environmental issues. We look forward to working with the new Department and Minister to ensure that West Australian communities can be healthy, efficient and productive places to live, work and prosper,” Mr Mellon concludes.
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 0412 179 135
Email: [email protected]
In This Section
- 40% increase in certifications confirms sustainability is here to stayWed 16 Dec 2015
- Climate pact a critical step on the low-carbon pathwayMon 14 Dec 2015
- Net zero the next step for green building movementMon 7 Dec 2015
- South Australia on the path towards carbon zeroTue 1 Dec 2015
- International leadership award for Australia’s greenest starMon 23 Nov 2015
- Leading the way with Australia’s most sustainable communitiesThu 19 Nov 2015
- 80,000 mid-tier buildings under the energy productivity spotlightWed 18 Nov 2015
- Kathmandu set to open Australasia’s first Green Star storeThu 12 Nov 2015
- Royal collaboration delivers Australia’s first 6 Star residential buildingThu 5 Nov 2015
- 1000 Green Star ratings equals 14 million sqm of green spaceThu 29 Oct 2015