Leading the way with Australia’s most sustainable communities
Lendlease’s Aurora community in Melbourne’s north has been awarded a 6 Green Star – Communities rating by the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA), making it the first 6 Green Star project of its kind in Victoria.
The announcement comes just eight months after Lendlease’s Alkimos Beach project in Western Australia was awarded the same 6 Star Green Star rating, making it the first in Australia at the time.
Lendlease is set to apply its 50-years of master-planning experience to the 316ha expansion of open spaces and new homes at Aurora in Melbourne. On completion, it will be home to 10,000 residents and 3,100 new dwellings.
Managing Director of Lendlease’s Communities business, Matthew Mears, said that the Aurora project was assessed against a holistic set of distinct social, environmental and economic benchmarks including governance, design, liveability, economic prosperity, environment and innovation.
“We acknowledge the previous work done by Places Victoria and are committed to demonstrating new benchmarks in social, economic and environmental outcomes in master-planned communities.
“Lendlease’s vision of creating the best places is underpinned by a commitment to, and strong track record in delivering cohesive, socially connected, environmentally sustainable and innovative communities.
“Aurora by Lendlease will allow us to continue to deliver outstanding sustainability and innovation for residents, in a landscape that draws inspiration from the surrounding natural environment,” said Mr Mears.
GBCA’s Chief Executive Officer, Romilly Madew said: “Lendlease understands that building a sustainable community must go beyond physical environments.
“It means creating employment opportunities and economic prosperity, supporting diverse, affordable and liveable places that enhance people’s wellbeing, and fostering the community’s connections with nature and culture.
“In achieving a 6 Star Green Star – Communities rating, which represents world leadership in sustainable precincts, Lendlease and the future residents of Aurora have positive proof that their community will be a place that delivers outstanding environmental, social and economic outcomes today, tomorrow and well into the future.”
Green Star is an internationally-recognised rating system that delivers independent verification of sustainable outcomes throughout the life cycle of projects.
Green Star – Communities is a rating tool that evaluates the sustainability attributes of the planning, design, and construction of large scale development projects, at a precinct, neighbourhood, or community scale. The Green Star – Communities rating tool is designed to assist governments, development project teams and contractors in their aim to deliver large scale sustainable developments around Australia.
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 0412 179 135
Email: [email protected]
In This Section
- 40% increase in certifications confirms sustainability is here to stayWed 16 Dec 2015
- Climate pact a critical step on the low-carbon pathwayMon 14 Dec 2015
- Net zero the next step for green building movementMon 7 Dec 2015
- South Australia on the path towards carbon zeroTue 1 Dec 2015
- International leadership award for Australia’s greenest starMon 23 Nov 2015
- Leading the way with Australia’s most sustainable communitiesThu 19 Nov 2015
- 80,000 mid-tier buildings under the energy productivity spotlightWed 18 Nov 2015
- Kathmandu set to open Australasia’s first Green Star storeThu 12 Nov 2015
- Royal collaboration delivers Australia’s first 6 Star residential buildingThu 5 Nov 2015
- 1000 Green Star ratings equals 14 million sqm of green spaceThu 29 Oct 2015