First Green Star hotel on the horizon
Canberra-based development company, GEOCON, is on track to achieve Australia’s first Green Star rating for a hotel.
Abode Woden, an adaptive reuse project, is the third hotel developed by GEOCON. The project has registered to achieve a Green Star rating from the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA).
Abode Woden, which opened its doors in September 2013, is an inspiring example of how older buildings can be updated into modern, sustainable spaces, with GEOCON transforming this deserted 1970s commercial building into a fresh, modern hotel.
“Hotels previously fell outside the scope of the Green Star rating system, so we worked together to create a custom-built Green Star rating tool which enables Abode – The Apartment Hotel to join the league of Green Star leaders,” says the GBCA’s Chief Executive, Romilly Madew.
The GBCA and GEOCON collaborated to identify best practice benchmarks for sustainable hotel developments, with a new Green Star – Custom rating tool the result. GEOCON now has exclusive use of this Green Star rating tool, and Abode Woden has been registered to achieve Green Star certification.
“Many hotels make claims of being green, but Abode – The Apartment Hotel is on track to be the first brand – and Abode Woden the first hotel – to achieve the third-party tick of approval for its sustainability,” says Nick Georgalis, Managing Director of GEOCON.
“We understand that truly sustainable practices can deliver dividends – from reduced operating costs and higher profit margins, to improved staff productivity and brand equity. Achieving a Green Star rating just makes good business sense,” Mr Georgalis says.
“We applaud GEOCON’s leadership in creating higher benchmarks for sustainability in the hotel industry, and we look forward to seeing more hotels following this lead,” Ms Madew concludes.
Nick Georgalis will be speaking about the making of Australia’s first targeted Green Star hotel at Green Cities from 18-19 March in Melbourne.
About Abode – The Apartment Hotel
Abode – The Apartment Hotel is the first of its kind in the Canberra region. The group opened its first hotel, Abode Gungahlin, in October 2010 before opening Abode Tuggeranong in August 2012 and Abode Woden in August 2013. Abode – The Apartment Hotel aims to prove that brand new, stylish hotel accommodation need not be exclusive.
GEOCON is a Canberra-based property development and construction firm specialising in residential and commercial development. GEOCON has also moved into hotel development and management with the launch of Abode – The Apartment Hotel in three locations across Canberra. GEOCON prides itself on best-practice, maintaining clear lines of communication with customers, consultants and subcontractors and providing social and economic benefits to all involved.
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 0412 179 135
Email: [email protected]
In This Section
- 40% increase in certifications confirms sustainability is here to stayWed 16 Dec 2015
- Climate pact a critical step on the low-carbon pathwayMon 14 Dec 2015
- Net zero the next step for green building movementMon 7 Dec 2015
- South Australia on the path towards carbon zeroTue 1 Dec 2015
- International leadership award for Australia’s greenest starMon 23 Nov 2015
- Leading the way with Australia’s most sustainable communitiesThu 19 Nov 2015
- 80,000 mid-tier buildings under the energy productivity spotlightWed 18 Nov 2015
- Kathmandu set to open Australasia’s first Green Star storeThu 12 Nov 2015
- Royal collaboration delivers Australia’s first 6 Star residential buildingThu 5 Nov 2015
- 1000 Green Star ratings equals 14 million sqm of green spaceThu 29 Oct 2015