Australia leads the world in green building
The Australia and New Zealand real estate market is the world’s greenest, according to the latest Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB).
The report, which analysed data from 637 listed property companies and private equity real estate funds, covering 56,000 buildings with an aggregate value of USD $2.1 trillion, found that “as in previous years, Australia/New Zealand is the leading region.”
Two Australian companies, ISPT and Lend Lease, were also named ‘global sector leaders’.
Australia and New Zealand also performed strongest in terms of regional green leaders, with 70 per cent of the total participants in the highest quadrant, compared with 35 per cent in Europe, and 32 per cent in North America and Asia.
Established in 2009, GRESB assesses the sustainability performance of the real estate sector. Five years on, reporting has become standard practice for most of the world’s property companies and fund managers.
“Green building is arguably the world’s fastest growing industry – and Australia is leading the charge,” says the Green Building Council of Australia’s (GBCA’s) Chief Executive, Romilly Madew.
“The report underscores our regional leadership in sustainability, and serves as a reminder of why Australia is one of the best real estate markets in which to invest.
“We congratulate Lend Lease and ISPT for their outstanding leadership. Both of these companies are committed to investing in sustainable business models that will ensure the long-term success of their organisations.
“Australia’s real estate sector is demonstrating that it has a long-term commitment to sustainability that stretches far beyond this financial year or this electoral cycle,” Ms Madew concludes.
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 0412 179 135
In This Section
- 40% increase in certifications confirms sustainability is here to stayWed 16 Dec 2015
- Climate pact a critical step on the low-carbon pathwayMon 14 Dec 2015
- Net zero the next step for green building movementMon 7 Dec 2015
- South Australia on the path towards carbon zeroTue 1 Dec 2015
- International leadership award for Australia’s greenest starMon 23 Nov 2015
- Leading the way with Australia’s most sustainable communitiesThu 19 Nov 2015
- 80,000 mid-tier buildings under the energy productivity spotlightWed 18 Nov 2015
- Kathmandu set to open Australasia’s first Green Star storeThu 12 Nov 2015
- Royal collaboration delivers Australia’s first 6 Star residential buildingThu 5 Nov 2015
- 1000 Green Star ratings equals 14 million sqm of green spaceThu 29 Oct 2015