Reporting Criteria for Construction & Demolition Waste Credit
All Green Star rating tools include a ‘Construction and Demolition Waste’ credit which aims to encourage and reward management practices that minimise the amount of construction and demolition waste from base building and/or interior fitout works that is disposed to landfill. The credit requires the use of waste contractors and waste processing facilities that have been independently verified for compliance with minimum standards of reporting. The introduction of such compliance standards and checks aims to ensure contractors and facilities are operating with environmentally responsible due diligence on behalf of Green Star projects.
Waste contractors and waste processing facilities providing services to projects seeking Green Star certification must comply with the current version (2013) of the Green Star ‘Construction and Demolition Waste Reporting Criteria’ (the ‘Reporting Criteria’), available here.
The sections on this page are described below for ease of reference:
- June, 2016: ‘Currently Seeking Industry Feedback’, please refer to this section for information on how to provide feedback on the Reporting Criteria as part of the 2016 review process.
- December, 2015: ‘Guidance’, please refer to this section for information on how to demonstrate compliance with the Reporting Criteria for your current Green Star project.
- April, 2012: ‘Construction and Demolition Waste Reference Group’, please refer to this section for information on the original working group that developed the Reporting Criteria.
Currently Seeking Industry Feedback (June, 2016)
The Green Building Council of Australia is currently calling for feedback on the Reporting Criteria. Aims of the review process and update to the Reporting Criteria include:
- Clarification of the requirements within the Reporting Criteria and how compliance is to be demonstrated.
- Understanding where flexible pathways can be introduced.
- Practicality of implementation in the market and what can be done to support this.
The Reporting Criteria is built by industry, and for industry, in order to drive best practice in the construction and demolition waste sector. The GBCA encourages feedback from any interested party during this review process.
In order to provide feedback, the GBCA asks that you review the ‘for consultation’ version of the Reporting Criteria. This version has response boxes within the PDF for your feedback on specific topics. This review should take around two hours.
This document is available below for download:[email protected]. All responses must be received by 5pm Friday, 8th July.
If you would like any further information regarding the Reporting Criteria review process, please get in touch with:
- The Green Star team [email protected]
The GBCA would like to thank all contributing parties in advance for their support and engagement.
Guidance (December, 2015)
For Green Star - Design & As Built and Green Star - Interiors registered projects, the following guidance applies.
Where waste contractors or waste processing facilities do not hold a ‘Compliance Verification Summary’, they shall, at a minimum, disclose to the project team how much of the Reporting Criteria has been implemented. The 'Disclosure Statement' will take place of the ‘Compliance Verification Summary’ in the project team's submission.
Construction and Demolition Waste Reference Group (April, 2012)
In April 2012, the GBCA invited waste contractors, resource recovery facility operators, waste policy and regulatory specialists, waste auditors, and Green Star Accredited Professionals (GSAPs) experienced in applying the ‘Waste Management’ credit, to participate in the Green Star Construction and Waste Reference Group (CDWRG).
The CDWRG was responsible for providing expert advice and contributing to the development of a Construction and Demolition Waste Management in Green Star Discussion Paper, which sought wider industry feedback on the development of the new Green Star ‘Construction and Demolition Waste’ credit.
The CDWRG involved representatives from 46 organisations, including 24 GBCA member companies. Effort was taken by the GBCA to involve participants from all Australian states and territories.
The CDWRG comprised of representatives from the following organisations:
|GBCA Members||Non-GBCA Members|
|Organica Engineering||DATS Environmental Services|
|Lend Lease||Benedict Industries|
|Encycle||Melbourne Recycling Centres|
|Grocon*||NSW Environment Protection Authority|
|Transpacific Resource Recycling||Waste Contractors and Recyclers Association of NSW (WCRA)|
|University of South Australia||Mobuis Materials Recovery|
|Abigroup*||Australian Council of Recycling Inc (ACOR)|
|Australand*||Victoria Waste Management Association (VWMA)|
|Built*||Encore Recycling & Resource Recovery|
|Brookfield Multiplex*||NASS Group|
|Watpac Construction*||SCRAP (School Communities Recycling All Paper)|
|Hickory Developments*||EcoLogical Water Solutions|
|John Holland*||Kasa Consulting|
|Leighton Contractors*||Waste Policy Branch – Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population & Communities (DSEWPAC)|
|Mirvac*||Kimbriki Environmental Enterprises|
|Thiess Contracting*||Calleja Group|
|Built Ecology||Konstruct Recycling and Waste Management|
|Veolia Environmental Services|
|Dial A Dump Industries|
*Participation coordinated through company’s Victorian Construction Safety Alliance (VCSA) representative
Green Star Team
Green Building Council of Australia
Phone: 02 8239 6200
Email: [email protected]
In This Section
- Materials CategoryWed 26 Nov 2014
- Life Cycle Assessment in Green StarWed 18 Nov 2015
- Reporting Criteria for Construction & Demolition Waste CreditFri 7 Jul 2017
- Recognised Product Certification SchemesMon 14 Nov 2016
- Revised Timber CreditFri 1 Dec 2017
- Best Practice Guidelines for PVCTue 28 Jul 2015
- Revised Green Star Steel CreditWed 26 Nov 2014
- Revised Green Star Concrete CreditWed 26 Nov 2014
- Fitout CalculatorsFri 19 Dec 2014