Green Star Eligibility Criteria - Spatial Differentiation
To meet the Spatial Differentiation criterion, the project must be clearly distinct. A Green Star rating must provide a meaningful result, and send a clear message to the marketplace, about a distinct project. Only distinct projects are eligible for assessment; project components are not eligible.
Shared building services (e.g. HVAC plant or water treatment) or amenities (e.g. waste rooms or bicycle facilities) do not affect the building's eligibility for Green Star assessment. Refer to Guidelines for Interdependent Projects.
The following describes projects that meet this Eligibility Criterion:
Functionally autonomous buildings that are:
- Freestanding; or on top of public infrastructure (e.g. transport hubs); or
connected to other buildings for secondary access only; or
laterally adjacent to other functionally autonomous buildings; or
buildings that are being extended.
- Building extensions (eligible for a BUILDING EXTENSION Rating, e.g. Green Star - Education As Built BUILDING EXTENSION. See 'Options for Building Extensions'.)
- Multiple building developments (See 'Options for Multiple building developments').
- Whole fitouts.
Options for Building Extensions
There are two options available for an assessment of a building extension:
- The building extension and the initial building are rated as one building under the relevant Green Star tool. (Refer to the sections for the relevant rating tool for eligibility criteria for this option.)
- The building extension is rated separately and will receive a Green Star BUILDING EXTENSION rating if successful.
- The Green Star rating achieved by the extension will only relate to and can only be marketed for the extension, as will be made evident on the Certificate and logo (i.e. Green Star - Office Design v3 BUILDING EXTENSION), and will not extend to the remainder of the building or any part thereof.
- The primary building does not need to have, or qualify for, a Green Star Certified Rating in order for the extension to be eligible.
A project can qualify for assessment as a building extension if it meets all of the following criteria:
- The extension has full functional independence from the initial building;
- The extension has a distinct address or name, e.g. 'West Wing';
- The initial building's main function is not to service the extension;
- If the project scope includes work to the initial building, it only includes refurbishment or modification to the initial building's spaces/structures that support the extension. If the modifications affect primary spaces/structures in the initial building, the entire development will be deemed one building;
- There is a clearly defined 'Project site' used consistently throughout the
i. for a vertical extension, the 'site' will be defined as the area occupied by the extension's footprint only;
ii. for a lateral extension, the 'site' will be defined as the area occupied by the extension's footprint plus adjacent area extending to the boundary of the site of the initial building;
- All services and incoming mains supplies are separated or sub-metered (or the entire system(s) must comply with the Credit Criteria); and
- Either of the following attributes is achieved:
i. A different street address from the initial building; OR
ii. Accounts for at least 20% of the total GFA and is no smaller than 1,000m2 GFA.
Options for multiple-building developments
It is recognised that developments such as secondary schools are commonly split over several buildings. Such developments have the following options for Green Star assessments:
- Single building certification, where selected campus buildings individually undergo assessment and receive individual ratings
- Single certification for multiple buildings, where all the buildings are certified at the same time and awarded one rating. Please contact the GBCA for further information about this option.
In This Section
- Green Star CertificationTue 6 Jan 2015
- Achieve a Green Star Certified RatingTue 6 Jan 2015
- Eligibility RequirementsTue 6 Jan 2015
- Certification FeesTue 6 Jan 2015
- Register Your ProjectTue 6 Jan 2015
- Guides, Resources & TemplatesMon 26 Jan 2015
- Volume CertificationTue 20 Jan 2015
- Green Star Project ManagerTue 6 Jan 2015