3. Demonstration Projects
3.1 Green Suburbs
The NT Government and the Darwin City Council have partnered to implement Green Suburbs, a program that will demonstrate the creation and redevelopment of interconnected open space/parklands through landscaped pedestrian and cycleway corridors around the Darwin peninsula that meet the active and passive needs of both residents and visitors.
Green Suburbs will have the following phases:
- An overall plan which promotes the protection, expansion and redevelopment of existing and new open space through connected green open space pedestrian/bicycle corridors in a sustainable manner.
- A series of staged projects, which when developed over the next 10 years, will provide a fully integrated open space/recreation system surrounding the Darwin City peninsula with green open spaces from the Waterfront to the Esplanade, Old Hospital Site and Myilly Point to Mindil Beach, and the Botanic Gardens to the old tank farm at Stuart Park.
3.2 Solar Champions
The 2010 - 2011 Territory Budget has committed funding for the purchase and installation of solar power systems on the roofs of up to five not-for-profit non-Government organisations across the NT to demonstrate innovations in solar power.
The presence of high-profile solar power systems is expected to raise awareness of climate change issues and provide practical solutions for Territorians.
In This Section
- Northern TerritoryFri 5 Nov 2010
- 1. Policy frameworkThu 24 Feb 2011
- 2. Leadership by exampleThu 24 Feb 2011
- 3. Demonstration ProjectsThu 24 Feb 2011
- 4. Financial incentivesThu 24 Feb 2011
- 5. RegulationThu 24 Feb 2011
- 6. Capacity buildingThu 24 Feb 2011
- 7. Information and awareness raising campaignsThu 24 Feb 2011