A summary of Built Environment Meets Parliament (BEMP) 2011
The fifth annual BEMP Summit was held 21-22 June 2011, with a welcome dinner incorporating the presentation for the Australia Award for Urban Design on 21 June and the full day summit on 22 June at Parliament House, Canberra. BEMP is jointly hosted by the GBCA, the Australian Institute of Architects, Consult Australia, the Planning Institute of Australia and the Property Council of Australia. The event offers industry stakeholders, public servants and staff and members of the host organisations an opportunity to talk with each other, and with representatives from Parliament, about how to meet the challenges of creating a more sustainable built environment.
This year's program included a number of Ministers, MPs and a Senator as well as panelists from industry and the keynote speaker, Edward Glaeser, who spoke about 'The Triumph of the City' via videoconference from Washington. Sessions focused on resilience, cities and urban development and Australia's demographic forecast. Feedback from participants was positive and Minister Albanese commended BEMP for keeping the conversation between industry and policy makers open, as it is becoming a significant driver of change.
In This Section
- Policy Perspective: Issue 2
- Policy Perspective: Issue 1
- Emissions Reduction Fund - industry update
- A New Deal for Urban Australia
- Businesses for a Clean Economy (B4CE)
- Putting a price on pollution: what it means for Australia’s property and construction industry
- A summary of Built Environment Meets Parliament (BEMP) 2011