2. Leadership by example
2.1 Carbon Neutral Council
Adelaide City Council's Carbon Neutral Council Action Plan has initiated projects that will reduce carbon emissions from Council's own operations by over 6,000 each year. This is equivalent to carbon emissions produced by 750 South Australian households in one year.
- Installation of a major solar panel array, in partnership with the Australian Government Solar Cities Program, on Rundle UPark to offset the power needs of the Rundle Lantern.
- Energy efficient lighting and airconditioning systems installed at the UPark Central Market and Rundle.
- Energy efficient retrofits of traffic and public lighting.
- Feasibility investigations for the installation of a cogeneration plant at the Adelaide Aquatic Centre.
- Rollout of energy saving initiatives across the Corporation's computer network.
- Identification of priority energy saving works for the UPark portfolio for 2009/10 and beyond.
- Selecting an Energy Management System to enable monitoring of Council's energy use and support production of the annual emissions register.